Patreon – Ocean Wave in Colored Pencil
Supplies used: (amazon affiliate links)
- Faber-Castell Polychromos Pine Green, Permanent Green Olive, Chrome Oxide Green, Earth Green, Deep Cobalt Green, Cobalt Green, Cobalt Turquoise, Helio Turquoise, Light Cobalt Turquoise, Light Phthalo Blue, Indanthrene Blue, Sky Blue, Cold Grey II, Cold Grey I, Light Flesh
- Caran d’Ache Luminance Olive Brown, Dark Sap Green, Cobalt Green, Beryl Green, Light Malachite Green, Malachite Green, Ice Blue, Paynes Grey 30%, Violet Grey, Burnt Sienna 10%, Light Aubergine, Prussian Blue, White
- Derwent Procolour Distant Green, Spruce Green, Midnight Blue, Racing Green, Mars Violet, Heather, Flesh Pink
- Derwent Drawing Colored Pencils Chinese White
- Fabriano Artistico Extra White HP 140lb watercolor paper
- Mona Lisa Odorless Paint Thinner
- Daylight Duo Led Art & Craft lamp with Clamp
- Air Brushing supplies can be found on my supply list page.
- Touch up Texture & Titanium White powder from http://brushandpencil.com
- #2 synthetic hog hair liner brush #5 synthetic hog hair flat brush
Another method to create waves and water splashing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDG8IpKw_-c
How to use a liner brush https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQP9fjbl4fg
Derwent Procolour Review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM_LubSVVkU&t=25s
How to use touch up texture/titanium white powder for white lines https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H3hOHx-qZ8
If you have trouble watching this video you have two options while we are looking into solutions.
The first option is to force the video quality. The following is what Vimeo has said about this problem:
“If they are indeed using iOS 11, unfortunately, it appears that this issue is deriving from Apple’s software. Thus there’s nothing we can do to resolve the problem from our side of things. We have reported this bug to Apple’s engineering team and we hope to have a resolution soon. As soon as we receive an update, we’ll be sure to send it along.”
If that doesn’t work for you, just fill out your name and email address in the form below and I will send you another link 🙂
Patreon - I need another link for the Ocean Wave in Colored Pencil
Reference photo from
I am always happy to have you copy my work for your own practice. Be aware of what reference photo I used, sometimes (like this case) you will need to purchase the photo from the photographer to use. As a general rule, you can not copy my work and make prints/sell that work. I retain copyright of the work I complete.
If you follow one of my lessons, you are more than welcome to post your work on social media to share what you’ve done, as long as you include in your post that you followed one of my lessons.
This specific reference photo is from StoryBlocks. They were previously Graphicstock and have since made changes to their membership plans. I’m honestly not sure what their prices are now. In order to use this exact photo as reference, you will need to purchase the rights/membership from that website. Storyblocks has you pay an annual membership fee. You can always use a free photo you find on a site like Pixabay for free and use the techniques I’m teaching in this lesson on that photo if you do not want to purchase the same reference photo.