Colored Pencil Supply ListThese are the products I use in my own artwork
With graphite, you can get started with a single #2 pencil if that’s all you have, but these are my favorites to work with.
- Faber Castell 9000 graphite set
- Derwent Graphics – these new/improved pencils are wonderful!
- Generals Graphite Powder – Not a pencil but SO nice for smooth backgrounds! See how I use this product in this video!
- Faber Castell Graphite Aquarelle – Water Soluble Graphite, watch my review on these pencils in this video!
- Graphitint – These are water-soluble tinted graphite pencils. Watch my review in this video!
I am so much less picky about the paper I use for graphite than the paper I use for colored pencil. For the most part, I prefer very smooth paper. Here are a few I recommend you try out to see which best fits your style:
- Strathmore Bristol Vellum
- Stonehenge white (the one sold in pads is smoother than those sold individually, good for graphite, not great for colored pencil IMO)
- Fabriano Artistico extra white Hot Pressed 140lb watercolor (I get this from dickblick.com, this one is always WAY overpriced on amazon).
- Glassine This is what I keep under my hand to prevent smudging my work with my hand.
- Derwent pencil extender This is so that you can keep using your pencils even when they’re used down to the last inch!
- Drafting Brush This is used to wipe away eraser shavings or graphite dust without smearing your work
- drawing board I don’t use the clip, but use low tack masking tape instead to tape my work to my board.
- shading tools For blending smaller areas and details
- chamois For blending larger areas
- Kum handheld sharpener I’m in no way saying this is the best sharpener, but it’s cheap and has worked well for me. I have gotten a few lemons over the years though.
- Kum long point sharpener This sharpener is a two-parter. You first sharpen the pencil to a long point, but the end will have a lump. Then you use the other side which brings it to a very fine point. This one seems to work great with some pencils but can be temperamental. I didn’t love it when I first got it, but now I find myself using it all the time.
The links on this page are my Amazon affiliate links.