Here we go! It’s that time of year again where we have no idea what to buy for people! I’m here to help you choose gifts for the artist that won’t end up in a closet somewhere…unless that’s where they store the art supplies they love most.
Here is the thing about artists…we’re weirdly picky about the supplies we use. You can’t just go to costco and pick up a paint set and call it a day if you’re wanting the artist to really use the products inside. Unless they’re a kid, save your money on those sets. I know you mean well but they probably won’t get used.
Here are some items artists CAN always use, starting at the least expensive and working our way up.
The links in this list are my affiliate links for amazon.
Think Outside the Box
Art motivation items.
Selection of teas
Pencil Sharpeners. We ALWAYS need more. These things get dull and start breaking our lead if we don’t replace them (or the blades) regularly. Plus we lose them. A lot. Here are some of my favorites.
- 3 PACK: KUM 2-hole Pencil Sharpener
- 3 PACK: Kum Metal 1-Hole Pencil Sharpeners
- Kum long point sharpener
Erasers. Yep…we are always losing these too! Just get us a gift basket full of them and we will be weirdly happy. Here are some of my favorites. Notice they are all white. Avoid the fun colored erasers, they can leave colored marks on white paper which can ruin artwork.
- Tombo Mono Eraser
- Faber-Castell Kneaded Erasers
- Vanish Eraser
- Staedler Eraser
- Faber-Castell Perfection Eraser (a MUST HAVE for colored pencil artists)
- Pentel Click Eraser Pen
Shading Tools for blending graphite or charcoal.
- Faber Castell 9000 graphite set
- Derwent Graphics
- Faber Castell Graphite Aquarelle These are my top choice of the three! They’re graphite that you can blend out with water. They are AMAZING to work with!
- Generals White Charcoal Pencils
- Generals Sketch and Peel Charcoal Soft
- Easel or Table Daylight Lamp
The paper type your artist will like best depends on their favorite medium to work in.
- Canson Mi-Teintes I use the rough side for charcoal or the smooth side for colored pencil. The toned grey pack is the BEST!!
- Arches Hot Pressed Watercolor Paper Great for watercolor, inktense, colored pencil or water soluble graphite
- Canson Sketchbook Great for sketching out ideas before we start a large project
Colored Pencils & Water Media
This is an area where you can spend a small amount or turn into everyone’s favorite gift giver. Totally up to your budget, but either way, the artist you give them to will love them!
- 12 Pack Faber-Castell Polychromos This is a small set but everything the artist needs to learn to blend and mix colors…all while using one of the best brands available!
- 120 Pack Faber-Castell Polychromos In case you want to make the person you’re giving these to explode.
- 72 set of Derwent Lightfast
- 24 set of Derwent Drawing
- 24 set of Derwent Inktense
- 36 set of Derwent Watercolor Pencils
- 72 set of Derwent Inktense Blocks
- Powder Blender Kit (needs LuxArchival Paper or another sanded paper to make this work)
- Fredrix Watercolor Canvas Board I use these for acrylic painting, not watercolor
- Fredrix Canvas Pad These are great for practicing different brush strokes without using a full stretched canvas.
- Fredrix Blue Label Ultra Smooth canvases These are amazing for smooth blending and detail
- H Frame Easel